Bovine Colostrum is a milky fluid that comes from the cow’s udders the few days after giving birth, before actual milk appears. It typically has a light yellow colour and a subtle taste and smell that resembles buttermilk.
CONSTITUENTS OF BOVINE COLOSTRUM
Bovine Colostrum contains similar nutrients to mature bovine milk but macronutrient profile and growth factors, immunoglobulins and other immune factor content differs.
1. Proteins and peptides = It contains higher total protein content than mature milk.
2. Carbohydrates = It contains lactose, oligosaccharides, glycolipids, glycoproteins and nucleotide sugars.
3. Fats and lipids = Bovine Colostrum contains approximately 7 % fat, predominantly comprising milk fat globules.
4. Vitamins and Minerals = It contains fat soluble vitamins like A, D, E and water soluble vitamins like B. It is also rich in minerals like calcium, copper, iron, zinc, magnesium, manganese and phosphorus.
5. Bioactive components = It contains bioactive components like immunoglobulins, antimicrobials like lactoperoxidase, lysozyme, lactoferrin, cytokines, immune regulators like B and T lymphocytes, macrophages and neutrophils, growth factors, hormones like prolactin, somatostatin, oxytocin, LH, TSH, thyroxine, calcitonin, oestrogen, progesterone.
HOW BOVINE COLOSTRUM DIFFERENT FROM NORMAL MILK ?
It is different from normal milk as it contains less lactose and more fat, protein, peptides, non-protein nitrogen, ash, vitamins and minerals, hormones, growth factors, cytokines and nucleotides.
NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS OF BOVINE COLOSTRUM
- It boosts immunity, digestive and hormonal system.
- It improves physical performance.
- It may boost immunity because of higher amounts of antibodies, IgA and IgG.
- It may prevent and treat diarrhoea. It contains variety of antibodies and protein lactoferrin that help prevent diarrhoea associated with bacterial and viral infections.
- It benefits gut health. It strengthens gut by fighting infections in digestive tract.
- Topical colostrum application has proven benefits for open wound healing.
Bovine Supplements and powders are available easily in the market but are very expensive. It will be great if you get fresh bovine colostrum from cattle farms.
If you want customized diet plans or any other dietary information, contact:
Neena’s Diet Clinic, Dietician Neena (Mscdfsm), Course in low FODMAP diet from Monash University, Australia, Life member of IDA, 9888226150« DON’T FEAR CARBS |