HEALTHY TIPS FOR KARWA CHAUTH
India’s most favourite festival among ladies is karwa chauth. Excitement is at its peak during this time. Karwa Chauth fast is a dry fast. Thats why, take some precautions to make the most of this dry fast, as this dry fast has many benefits including boosting energy, liver cleansing, improved concentration, delayed ageing etc. Sargi is the most important meal of this festival.
Here are important tips for sargi.
- One day before karwa chauth, have your dinner early than usual so that you feel hungry during sargi time.
- Drink adequate water a day before karwa chauth so that you remain hydrated.
- Start your sargi with any fruit or mixed fruits. You must include pomegranate so that you don’t feel thirsty throughout the day. Try to include banana to keep your energy levels high.
- Then, you can have dry fruits and soaked nuts and seeds like almonds, walnuts, pistachios, apricots, raisins, figs, sunflower seeds, watermelon seeds, pumpkin seeds etc.
- In some households, it is necessary to take pheni sweets. Therefore take pheni sweets with little or no sugar or jaggery.
- Have light cooked foods like chapatis + 1 bowl veg + 1 bowl curd, stuffed pranthas + 1 bowl curd etc.
- In beverages, take coconut water, lemon water with chia seeds, buttermilk with chia seeds instead of plain water.
- Stay calm. Don’t feel anxious.
- Avoid fried and oily foods during sargi.
- Also avoid tea / coffee during sargi, as they result in dehydration.
- Don’t consume very salty or very sugary foods.
Tips for fast
- Keep yourself busy to avoid thoughts of thirst or hunger. You can enjoy get togethers, engage in your hobby, reading or writing or anything that you like.
- Avoid exercise as it will leave you tired and drained.
- Don’t over exert your mind and body.
- Engage in getting ready and looking gorgeous.
- Distraction is the key.
- You can engage in preparing dinner so that you can be busy during the fast and also enjoy it after the fast.
Tips to open the fast
As the chanda mama appears in the sky, everyone will be busy in arg and break their fasts. You have done so much efforts in observing the fasts, a little more effort will make your fast sucessfull. Here are some useful tips regarding breaking your fast.
- Firstly have water. But only 1 glass. Don’t have litres of water at this time.
- Then have dates, dry fruits or nuts. Not in large amounts. But in moderation.
- Then you can carry on with your meal after half an hour or so.
- Remember….eat only when you feel hungry. Don’t think having dinner is a compulsion.
- Avoid oily, fried, spicy and processed foods.
- Prefer home made meals.
- But if you are going out or are ordering food from outside, make sure it’s not fried or sodium rich. Anyways, home made food is always the best.
Remember, you can reap maximum benefits from your dry fasting if you break the fast properly.
Be your best on karwa chauth. Look best, feel best. Be positive, be busy. Spread positive vibes all around.
Happy Karwa Chauth.
For customized and personalized diet plans, Contact:
Neena’s Diet Clinic
Course in low FODMAP diet for IBS from Monash University, Australia
Life member of IDA« DIET TIPS FOR MONSOON SEASON | FOODS TO EAT IN WINTERS »