INDIAN GOOSEBERRY (AMLAS) = WHY TO CONSUME AND HOW TO CONSUME ?
Amlas – superfood, anti-inflammatory, are also known as Indian Gooseberry. They are in abundance these days. We can see lots and lots of rehris and thelas full of amlas in Indian bazaars (markets). We should take the maximum benefit of amlas when they are in season. Lets take a look at nutritional value of amlas.
100 gms of amlas contain:
Energy = 99 kcal
Protein = 0.34 gms
Fat = 0.16 gms
Carbohydrates = 4.39 kcal
Fibre = 7.75 gms
Vit.C = 252 mg
Calcium = 20.14 mg
Iron = 1.25 mg
- They are powerhouse of vitamin C and antioxidants. The authenticity of this statement can be realized by the fact that gooseberry contains 20 times more vit. C than orange. That’s why it protects from cold, cough and flu.
- They regulate blood sugar levels, thus improves insulin sensitivity. Therefore, diabetics can also include amlas in their daily diet.
- They also helps in regulating cholesterol levels.
- They help in the absorption of iron in the body. Thus regular intake can reduce period pain.
- They are effective immunity boosters and helps in healing of wounds.
- Regular intake of amlas can make the skin glowy and hair lustrous.
- They are beneficial for eye health and oral health.
- They have anti-inflammatory properties, thus relieves pain.
HOW TO INCLUDE AMLAS IN YOUR DIET
- Simplest and most effective method of including amlas in your diet is to simply grate the raw amla and sprinkle on your salads and fruits. It will also give a nice tangy taste.
- You can also add raw amla in your vegetable juices.
- You can also sprinkle little rock salt on raw amla pieces and enjoy. But hypertensives and heart patients cannot take like this as this will increase sodium content.
- Amlas murabbas can be prepared at home. One should avoid market murabbas as they contain a lot of preservatives. But weight watchers and diabetics should not take these.
- Amla chawanprash can be prepared and consumed with milk.
- Amla pickles and chutneys can be made at home and can be consumed with breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Amla candies can also made at home easily. kiddos like amlas in the form of candies.
HOW TO USE AMLA FOR GLOWY SKIN
Take 1 tsp fresh amla juice. Amla juice can be made by grating it and then squeezing it from cheese cloth. Mix it with equal amounts of organic honey. Apply it on your face and neck for 10 to 15 minutes. You can apply it 2 times a week for that super glow.
HOW TO USE AMLA FOR LUSTROUS HAIR
Make fine paste of 2 amlas in a blender. Add 1 tsp desi ghee and 3 capsules of Vit. E. Apply on your hair for 30-45 minutes like a hair mask. Then wash your hair for that lustrous hair.
Thus, take the maximum benefits from amlas when they are in season and in abundance. I will give you the recipes of amlas in my next blog.
For individualized and cutomized diet plans, contact : Dt. Neena, Msc (dfsm), Member of Indian Dietetic Association
E mail : email@example.com« Want to boost your immunity? 10 easy ways to get started…. | QUICK AND YUMMY RECIPES OF INDIAN GOOSEBERRY (AMLAS) »